Since the lockdown in 2020, the world has become obsessed with self-care. From the promotion of daily walks and exercise to more conversations surrounding mental health - our mindset has shifted from ‘hustle culture’ to ‘homebody culture’. However, self-care wasn’t the only thing revealed during the pandemic, the need for a cleaner, more environmentally friendly way of life was at the forefront of everything. There is now no need to be applying a plastic sheet mask as a form of self-care when there are plenty of eco alternatives that can work just as well. Let’s take a look at 3 natural face scrubs to give the skin a smooth and even texture, without adding to the plastic heaps.
What are the benefits of facial scrubs?
- Smoother skin - exfoliants help get rid of dead skin cells your body hasn’t fully shed yet. This can promote a smoother, brighter, more even complexion.
- Improved circulation - stimulating the surface of your skin can boost blood flow which may help to reveal luminous skin.
- Unclogged pores - since it removes dead skin cells and oils that would otherwise clog your pores, facial exfoliation can help reduce acne breakouts.
- Better absorption - by removing a buildup of dead skin cells and other debris, your skin may absorb skincare products more effectively.
Honey and oats scrub
This is the perfect scrub if you suffer from oily and combination skin types - any teens may want to remember this one too.
Raw honey helps to balance bacteria on the skin, as it has soothing antibacterial properties - not to mention it is both a natural exfoliant and moisturiser. If you are a regular TikTok user, you will have become familiar with oats being used in skincare as they help to hydrate and nourish the skin. The oats also act as a calming natural exfoliator on the skin.
- 1/4 cup uncooked rolled oats
- 2 tbsp. raw honey
- 2 tbsp. Jojoba oil
- Grind oats into a fine powder using a coffee grinder or food processor.
- Warm the honey for a few seconds in the microwave so it’s easier to mix.
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl.
- Apply to cleansed skin in gentle circles for about 60 seconds.
- Rinse the scrub clean with lukewarm water.
- Spoon the remainder of the scrub into an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator.
Coffee has lots of natural exfoliating and anti-inflammatory properties, the scrub can help to smooth skin and improve circulation through its natural exfoliation of dead skin cells.
Just keep in mind that coffee, even finely ground particles, may irritate your skin. If you have sensitive skin, or notice any irritation after you use it, you may want to opt for a different scrub.
- 1 cup finely ground coffee
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. avocado oil
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl.
- Apply to cleansed skin in gentle circular motions for 1 to 3 minutes — you may want to start on the low end of this range to check how your skin handles the scrub.
- Let the scrub rest for a few minutes, if desired.
- Rinse the scrub clean with lukewarm water.
- Store any leftover mixture in an airtight container.
Brown Sugar Scrub
This homemade exfoliating face scrub contains brown sugar and avocado oil to help exfoliate and hydrate your skin. We have also added a little bit of lemongrass oil, which has been known to potentially help treat skin infections.
This scrub may be a good choice if you have dry or acne-prone skin.
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- 1 tsp. fine Himalayan sea salt
- 3-4 drops of lemongrass essential oil (optional)
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Apply scrub to cleansed skin in circular motions for 30 to 60 seconds.
- Rinse face clean with lukewarm water.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
There you have it, our top 3 DIY face masks you should try if you’re looking to clean up your skincare routine. Its worth noting that in the age of value for money, while being environmentally friendly - you should opt for products that can double up with multiple different uses. All Proverb skincare products have 4 uses for maximum efficiency, such as the Cleanse & Shave Nutrient Mud being a face wash, shaving cream, weekly face mask and spot calmer. Similarly, our Energising Facial Scrub is a face scrub, scalp scrub, body scrub and pre-shave prep.
Want to learn more about getting the most out of your skincare while saving the planet in the process? Follow us on social media @proverbskin for more.